The age-old saying “you do you” is all about being selfish in the best possible way: looking out for your own self-interest and well-being. When times get tough, every now and again it’s good to remind ourselves that being selfish is a good thing — and that’s what these being selfish quotes are here to do.
Selfishness in Relationships
Selfishness, or a lack of consideration for others, can have a destructive effect on relationships. Selfish people are often unwilling to compromise, which can lead to arguments and conflict.
They may also take more than their share of resources, such as time, money, or attention, which can lead to resentment from the other person in the relationship.
At the same time, a certain degree of selfishness can be beneficial in relationships. People who are able to prioritize their own needs and desires are more likely to be satisfied in their relationships since they are not constantly trying to please their partner.
People who are comfortable expressing their needs and feelings, and who are willing to compromise when necessary, are more likely to have healthy relationships.
In sum, selfishness can have a destructive effect on relationships, but it is also necessary for healthy relationships. A balance between self-interest and consideration for others is key to creating and maintaining a successful relationship.
Selfishness and Self-Care
Selfishness and self-care can be difficult to differentiate. Selfishness is an excessive concern with oneself, often at the expense of others, while self-care is the practice of taking care of one’s physical and mental health.
The fine line between the two is often determined by the intent of the action. If the intent is to benefit oneself at the expense of others, then the action is selfish. If the intent is to benefit oneself for the purpose of improving overall health, then the action is self-care.
For example, someone may take a day off work to relax and recharge. If the intent of this action is to avoid responsibility and put their own needs before their job, then it is selfish.
However, if the intent is to ensure they are healthy and energized in order to better serve their job, then it is an act of self-care.
Selfishness and self-care are determined by the intent of the action. It is important to remember that while taking care of oneself is important, it is also important to be mindful of how one’s actions affect others.
Being Selfish Quotes
To help you stay in tune with your own needs and desires, here are some inspiring and powerful being selfish quotes:
1. “Be selfish. Don’t compromise yourself. You’re all you’ve got.” – Janis Joplin
2. “Self-care is never a selfish act—it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer others.” – Parker Palmer
3. “Self-interest is the enemy of all true affection.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
4. “The most selfish thing you can do is to make sure you’re at your best for those you love.” – Unknown
5. “You’re going to be okay because you are strong and you have the power to take care of yourself.” — Lady Gaga
6. “It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone else’s eyes.” — Sally Field
7. “You have to stand up for yourself. Things will not always come easy. You have to fight for what you want.” — Reese Witherspoon
8. “You can never be selfish enough.” – T.S. Eliot
9. “One of the greatest diseases is to be nobody to anybody.” – Mother Teresa
10. “The biggest challenge in life is to be unselfish and to be yourself at the same time.” – Mandy Hale
11. “Selfishness is not an attractive quality but there is a degree of selfishness that is necessary to survival.” – Dalai Lama
12. “Take care of yourself first. You cannot pour from an empty cup.” – Unknown
13. “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” – Arthur Schopenhauer
14. “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” – Oscar Wilde
15. “We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men.” – Herman Melville
16. “A selfish person places himself first and yet succeeds only in isolating himself from the rest of the world.” – Author Unknown
17. “Focus on the best and happiest parts of yourself, and don’t let anyone else dictate or define it.” — Meghan Markle
18. “Be fiercely independent and selfishly kind.” – Steven Aitchison
19. “It is not selfish to do what is in your best interest.” – Unknown
20. “To give away yourself keeps yourself still, and you must live, drawn by your own sweet skill.” – John Donne
21. “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” ― Oscar Wilde
22. “The greatest part of our happiness or misery depends upon our disposition and not upon our circumstances.” – Martha Washington
23. “A generous person gets more pleasure from giving than a selfish person gets from receiving.” – Abraham Lincoln
24. “Selfishness is the greatest curse of the human race.” – William E. Gladstone
25. “It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no one can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
26. “If you want something in life, you have to make it happen.” – Unknown
27. “You only have one life, make it count.” – unknown
28. “To be cruel to others is to be cruel to yourself.” – Lao Tzu
29. “Being selfish doesn’t mean to be unkind, it just means to take care of yourself first.” – Carl Jung
30. “It’s okay to be a little selfish. It’s okay to put yourself first sometimes.” — Taylor Swift
31. “The only people who never fail are those who never try.” – Herbert V. Prochnow
32. “Selfishness starts out as a personal indulgence; it ends as a prison.” – Fulton J. Sheen
33. “We must learn to balance our own needs with the needs of others. Take care of yourself, but don’t be selfish.” – Leo Buscaglia
34. “The only person one never deceives is oneself.” – Jean De La Bruyere
Final Thoughts on Being Selfish Quotes
It can be tough to prioritize yourself, especially when life gets busy. But taking the time to think about your own well-being is essential to staying healthy and happy. Let these selfish quotes serve as a reminder that taking care of yourself is a good thing — and something you should never feel guilty about.
If you want to know and have a deep understanding of being selfish, please consider reading our article on Selfish Quotes!
Hi, I'm a writer and blogger with a degree in psychology. I love sharing my thoughts and experiences through writing and have contributed to various online publications. In my free time, you can find me outdoors, reading, or spending time with loved ones. Thank you for visiting my blog!